Last updated on January 7, 2021
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. If you click through and purchase an item, we may earn a commission. See our terms of service for details.
You recently created a website. It could be an online store or blog. It looks great, but something is missing. That “something” is a website element that encourages the next visitor to your site to act, for example, make a purchase, comment, or subscribe. After all, if visitors to your site see others acting, it will increase the chances of them following suit. That concept relates to social proof.
Social proof is a psychological and social phenomenon in which people rely on the feedback and actions of others to determine what is right and wrong in each situation. It is considered prominent in ambiguous social situations where people are unable to determine the appropriate mode of behavior. It is driven by the assumption that the surrounding people possess more knowledge about the current situation.
Social proof works because we are continually looking for queues and to take mental shortcuts to act accordingly. Social proof has been studied for decades and relates to similar human behavioral studies such as the bandwagon effect, bystander effect, groupthink, critical mass, and crowd psychology.
Social proofing methods have surfaced in various industries and professions like entertainment, marketing, sales, and social media. For instance, some individuals buy likes and followers for their social media profiles to project popularity, authority, and credibility. Displaying those attributes can increase followers and engagement. By contrast, a social media profile with only a few followers will project inferiority and irrelevance.
Social proof has found its way into website design and online marketing. There are many things we can do to social proof websites. Common social proofing methods include showcasing:
- Recent and “live” sale pop-ups
- Customer reviews and feedback
- Featured customer/client testimonials
- Number of blog comments
- Social shares for content
- Case studies
- Celebrity, influencer, and expert endorsements
- The number of people and things, for example, the number of users, downloads, subscribers, customers, etc.
- User-generated content, for example, a blog or video review from someone who has tried/tested a product
- Client logos
- Media outlets that a person has written for or been covered by, for example, “as featured in”
- Trust seals, for instance, the Better Business Bureau’s “Accredited Business”
WordPress users have ample choice of free and paid customer reviews, testimonials, blog comments, and social share plugins to improve social proof. Also, Thrive Themes offers two powerful, premium plugins for testimonials and blog comments. Therefore, let’s explore live and recent sale notification plugins, widgets, and apps for WooCommerce and WordPress websites.
Recent and live sale notifications project social proof by showing purchase activity. Purchases can be real or fake. If you use a sale notification plugin, you should consider your notification frequency settings so that notices appear authentic, for example, having pop-ups appear randomly every minute to two minutes. If pop-ups appear every few seconds, people may become skeptical and unattentive.
Best Social Proof WordPress Plugins
Beeketing offers a suite of marketing and sales apps to turn your online store into a money-making machine. It integrates with Shopify, Weebly, and a few other e-commerce and marketing tools.
The WooCommerce Live Sales Notification plugin shows recent sales. All features are configured and managed on its server, so the plugin is lightweight and efficient while minimizing your website’s resources.
- Add URL links to notifications to direct traffic
- Auto-sync with your store’s sales data to generate a live sales feed of real orders
- Create fake sales notifications to promote any item
- Design notifications to match your store’s look and feel
- Control display and schedule settings, for example, expiration and interval times
- Free and paid plans
The Beeketing for WooCommerce plugin aims to optimize conversion rates, increase average order value, prevent cart abandonment, and boost online sales.
- Showcase real and fake order notifications
- Display a sales countdown clock on product pages to create urgency and scarcity (FOMO)
- Show how many people have viewed and bought products
- Show bestsellers, recently viewed, “who bought this also bought,” and recommendations based on cart product carousel sliders
- Free and paid plans
2. WooCommerce Notification
WooCommerce Notification displays recent orders on your storefront. It’s the online equivalent of a busy store and shows prospective customers that other people are buying your products.
- Choose to display the order status, for example, complete, processing, etc.
- Select a time to display orders from that time until now
- Avoid the products you don’t want to appear on notifications
- Create fake orders for your newest products
- Use the shortcodes to configure your messages
- Configure the color of text, product name, and background
- Paid plugin
3. WordPress eCommerce Notification
WordPress eCommerce Notification automatically generates orders from given information.
- Add a list of customer names
- Enter the message to display on pop-ups
- Use shortcodes to customize notifications
- Change style elements such as text, background, image, etc.
- Play a sound when pop-up to attractive the user’s attention
- Paid plugin
Proof offers visitors and sales activity notifications. Proof integrates with Leadpages and many other e-commerce and marketing tools.
- Display recent sales and opt-ins on your pages
- Show how many visitors are browsing your site, for example, “28 people are viewing this page”
- Get detailed profiles of visitors who enter their emails
- Watch visitors navigate your site and see which steps they take to convert
- Control when, how long, and how fast notifications display
- Translate your announcements into any language
- Over 60 integrations
- A 14-day trial with prices starting at $24/mo
The WooBought WooCommerce plugin shows non-intrusive notifications of recent purchases.
- Edit notification messages with buyer and product details
- Change background and text colors
- Change notification position such as bottom left or right
- Set the time between notifications
- Support multiple languages, for example, English, Dutch, and French
- See a live example on the options page before saving your settings
- A lightweight and efficient plugin
- Free and paid plans
WPfomify increases conversion rates on your website by displaying recent sales and signups.
- Integrates with WooCommerce and a few other e-commerce and marketing services
- Easily customize the look and feel to match with your site’s branding
- Display real-time customer activity
- Display client reviews and ratings
- Show time-limited offers to create a sense of urgency and boost conversions
- Track activities with Google Analytics
- A 14-day trial with prices starting at $69 annually
7. Fomo for WooCommerce
The Fomo for WooCommerce plugin displays recent orders.
- Display every order, some orders, or only orders from a specific period
- Position notifications in any corner, i.e., bottom left, bottom right, top left, or top right
- A lightweight and built to scale plugin
- Fully customizable CSS animations and colors
- Randomize notification delays for a more life-like experience
- Hide notifications from specific pages
- See users interact with your notifications in real-time
- Customize the message, style, position, and timing to suit your branding
- A 7-day trial with prices starting at $39/mo
The ProveSource WordPress plugin is a social proof platform for websites.
- Display page visitors, recent signups, recent purchases, and product reviews
- Control your notifications display time and speed
- Set your notification icon, title color, text, link, and more
- Support more than 20+ languages
- Free and paid plans
The Notification WordPress plugin is feature-rich and well-reviewed.
- A super simple interface to set up notifications alerts
- Supports WooCommerce, Easy Digital Download, Freemius, and Envato
- Customization options to the display across the site, on specific posts, pages, and more
- Many integrations to power up your social proof marketing strategies
- Connect to Zapier to build absolutely anything